Tuesday, October 26, 2010
An event of epic proportions.
The SAC Halloween Dance, with 1,100 students in attendance, was a programming success. This event's success is credited to more than the number of students that entered the door... dozens of students volunteered to set and clean up, only a dozen students are required to meet with myself or other judicial officers because of policy violations, also known as underage drinking, and each logistical piece of the dance, the balloon drop as seen in this video, the DJ, the bus shuttles, went without a hitch.
I couldn't be more proud of my students. The hours of planning and preparing all paid off to produce the highest attendance record in the history of this student organization and the most rad event I've seen in all my years, a whopping 6, at this institution.
Advising my students throughout the stages of this event was one of my greatest learning opportunities yet. I began my 'student affairs' journey planning this same event 5 years ago. I was constantly reflecting on balance: where do I insert my opinion and where do I let the students do the talking? I had a lot of detail-oriented advice but often the students' fresh ideas are what made the dance so successful!
My graduate classes are guiding me through the development of college students but more often than not I can see my own development within the theories. I am increasingly excited to use my course work to help my students and more importantly, help myself be better. I am also increasingly grateful for the patience and enthusiasm my students have for me as I walk the path to greater understanding.
This week is Halloween and I am the Residence Director on-call. While I thankful for each opportunity to broaden my student affairs skill set, I never look forward to the phone calls the come with a busy, 'holiday' weekend like Halloween.
R.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment