Thursday, October 28, 2010

I am a True Griffin.

It's not even Friday and I have received 2 phone calls that both went a little like this: RA- "Richel..." ME- "Yes..." RA- "Insert description of illegal or alcoholic substance here..." ME- "(Long sighhhhh) I'll be right there..." Luckily, just false-ish alarms! [ Scratch that... 3 phone calls :D ]

How grateful I am to have Saturday night for some personal shenanigans as Progressive's Flo. I've got my bump-it and red lipstick all ready to go! WOW. That rhymes.
This Wednesday was one of the wildest this year, at least for an old lady like me. 8PM til 12 Midnight. Students' very intellectually discussed the college's new master plan. Shortly after, 2 incredibly dedicated teams came dressed as snowboarders with dinosaur pictures in hand all in the hopes of becoming the Ultimate True Griffins.
I did not help begin the tradition of becoming a True Griffin. The act of kissing another student at midnight which touching the school's mascot statue is seen at many campuses across the nation. A couple of years ago we saw a decline in students' participation in this joyous event so we created the True Griffin Hunt. The Hunt was modeled very loosely on the University of Chicago's EPIC scavenger hunt. Seriously, check it out. http://scavhunt.uchicago.edu/lore.html It will blow your mind! Our goal was to get students excited about becoming a True Griffin! This was the Hunt's third annual year.

I know what you're saying; two teams appear to a great success make. But, alas! Success is not always found in numbers. Success can be found in the most secret of places. An event with 5 students can be a success if that event positively alters those 5 students' perceptions of the organization.
These 2 teams put a week's worth of effort into becoming the truest of Griffins. They learned invaluable information about the college, our surrounding community and their own work ethics. They also carried on a tradition that I pride myself in having helped to create! Great success, I tell you!
Plus, one of the teams were my lovely RA RAs. Here are a few pictures of their prize winning hunt shenanigans....










































My first year in this quasi-graduate assistant, and I say quasi because at the time I was not a graduate student, was a trapeze act. I was at my
alma-mater, only months after graduation, transitioning from peer to advisor, student to colleague, all the while watching a new group of wide-eyed students plan the events I once fiercely called my own.

So I did my best to step away from activities. I wanted the new planners to do more, better than me and not feel like I was always looking over their shoulders. Now I am back in the world of programming. Not as an student planner, but as an advisor. It's a role I am always trying to perfect. I am not perfect, nor do I think I ever will be. I am challenged daily by the balancing act of stepping in and sitting it out. Sometimes I feel myself crossing the line and it's hard to move back. I get so excited about events! Ah...

This blog is positively sensational for personal reflection. It is hard to see my many areas of potential improvement in the moment but looking back at each interaction, each meeting is helping my personal and professional growth immensely.

It's about that time, time to actually do some homework. I must reflect on King & Kitchener's Reflective Judgment Model.

R.

No comments:

Post a Comment