To fulfill this objective I: Spent one day a week engaging with students in ASUU through office hours
I wanted to understand student government culture at the University of Utah better so halfway through the semester I began spending Thursday mornings and afternoons in the ASUU Office. Thursdays became invaluable to me; spending a few hours in ASUU each work provided me opportunities to work on my projects, complete homework and most importantly interact with all kinds of students! I got to know many of the Presenter's Office chairs better, was introduced to most of the ASUU Executive Cabinet, and spent significant time swapping student government ideas with the ASUU Graduate Assistant Jason.
Interviewed ASUU Advisors in many positions
Each ASUU Advisor functions in similar capacities but in different areas. I met with Rob Phillips, the Financial Advisor, Tom Hurtado, Communications Advisor, and Janzell Tutor, the Office Advisor. Their lateral advising roles in ASUU facilitates student autonomy and learning. They each have different advising styles which is also incredibly beneficial to the student leaders.
Helped ASUU Advisors and the Associate Dean supervise the Senior Homecoming Dance
The Senior Class Officers program a student dance every year to celebrate Homecoming.The dance was at the Depot, a downtown venue and a programming space I am familiar with from Westminster student government dances. The dance was far different from any I had seen before! Students were incredibly well behaved!
"The best part of attending this event was seeing Lori in action as the Advisor’s supervisor. She demonstrated empathy for the Advisors and once their duties had slowed down she sent each of the Advisors home, herself staying for the entire dance. "


No comments:
Post a Comment